Seniors Madeline Kaminski and Micaela Cronin both signed letters of intent on April 16 with Cleveland State University to play golf for the Vikings. Both are receiving full athletic grants to attend the D-1 school.
For the past three years, the duo has shared the responsibilities of being co-captains of the young CJ squad which began competing as a varsity team three years ago. Coach George Menker sited their leadership as a driving force that helped propel the team to runner’s up in the Greater Girls Cincinnati Grey Division in 2008 and top placers in 2009. The team ended the year with a 6th place finish at State in a field of 135 schools and awarded their co-captains each with MVP titles for the third year in a row.
Both girls hold school records. Cronin has a 9-hole record of 34, while Kaminski holds the 18-hole score of 76 and a 9-hole season average of 40.1. In addition to team awards, the girls finish their high school careers each with three All-Star Team nominations for both the Greater Girls Cincinnati League and West Central Ohio Girls Golf Coaches Association. Both were named 2009 Southwest District All Star 1st Team and 2009 All Ohio Academics.
The girls first met when they were in kindergarten and look forward to continuing their education and athletic tracts together in college. “We’re good friends and we love playing the sport together,” said Cronin.
“It’s worked out well for us in high school, we’ll keep it going in college,” added Kaminski.
Kaminski plans to study pre-medicine and is the daughter of Douglas and Constance of Kettering. Cronin plans to study pre-physical therapy and is the daughter of David and Joanne of Oakwood.
SENIORS COMMIT TO CONTINUE ATHLETIC CAREERS IN COLLEGE
Eleven CJ students have signed to play sports for their respective colleges and universities next year. They are:
- Laron Brown, Texas Southern (football)
- Molly Bruggeman, University of Notre Dame (rowing)
- Micaela Cronin, Cleveland State (golf)
- Ally Flynn, Georgetown University (rowing)
- Josh Garner, Youngstown State (football)
- Lizzie Gleason, University of Dayton (cross country)
- Andy Jomantas, NC State (football)
- Madeline Kaminski, Cleveland State (golf)
- Matt Vest, Wright State University (basketball)
- Mileah Walker, Howard University (basketball)
- Samarie Walker, University of Connecticut (basketball)