Update on 3/5/18: The indoor track and field team was very successful in the state competition. Highlights from the meet included:
- The men's 4x200 team defeating Dunbar in their heat, only for the Eagles to be disqualified because of a lane infraction;
- Preston Grant finishing 7th in the 200 (22.74);
- Donnie Stevenson finishing 10th in the 200 (22.87) and 10th in the 400;
- Women's 4x200 finishing 2nd (1:45);
- Women's 4x800 finishing 7th (10:31:06);
- Jazzmyn Potts finishing 9th in the 200;
- Julia DiLoreto finishing 4th in the long jump (16'10") and 9th in the 400 (1:00:36); and,
- the women's 4x400 finishing 6th (4:15.87.)
"Everyone who got on the podium got a medal, so we brought home a lot of hardware," said Head Coach Jerry Puckett. "Everyone did a great job; the spring looks promising."
Original Story: Men’s and women’s indoor track state qualifiers participated in the traditional Walk to State on Thursday, March 1.
“We have 16 kids going,” head coach Jerry Puckett said. “We are a very young team and this is one of the larger groups we’ve taken to state.”
Races with Eagles who qualified in the state competition on Saturday, March 3 are:
- 4x200: Donnie Stevenson, Matt Willis, Jance Peters, Preston Grant
- 4x400: Stevenson, Cory Henry, Peters, Grant
- 200 meters: Grant
400 meters: Stevenson
- 4x800: Carolyn Marshall, Julia DiLareto, Kiara DiLoreto, Madison Meixner, Lucy Zelinski
- 4x400: Jazzmyn Potts, Jada Grant, J. DiLoreto, Lindsey Carter.
- 4x200: Potts, Grant, DiLoreto, Meyah Haywood
- 200 meters, 60 hurdles: Potts
- 400 meters, 200 meters: J. DiLoreto
- 60 meters: Haywood
“I’m most excited about running with my relay team - I love competition,” Potts shared.
“Our coaches have worked us hard and it’s paid off,” Stevenson addded.
Coach Puckett noted that success from the indoor track members helps him assess what’s ahead for the spring, outdoor track season.
“Until this theory proves me wrong, it’s always held true.” Puckett chuckled.
“We are a very young team,” Puckett added. “They’re ability to work and they’re unbelievable competitiveness keeps me going.”
Posted March 1, 2018