NOMINATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
For the first time since its inception in 2012, the Big Hoopla STEM Teacher Award will be presented during the Big Hoopla STEM Challenge at Chaminade Julienne Catholic High School on Sunday, March 11.
“We believe Dayton continues to prosper because there is so much STEM innovation in the Miami Valley, and because of the great teachers and educators here,” CJ Director of Admissions and member of the Local Organizing Committee, Brett Chmiel, noted.
The Big Hoopla STEM Teacher of the Year award will recognize a K-8 educator’s efforts and contributions in the STEM fields in the Dayton region.
“We believe those professionals in the K-8 education system create a healthy STEM field of professionals who one day will give back to the city of Dayton,” Chmiel said.
Former or present students, parents, administrators and co-workers can submit an application on behalf of a teacher. The Big Hoopla STEM Teacher of the Year candidate should:
- hold at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- be a full-time employee of the school or school district as determined by state and district policies, with responsibilities for teaching students no less than 50% of the school's allotted instructional time.
- be an exceptionally dedicated, knowledgeable, and skilled teacher in a Dayton region school (K-8 in a public - including charter - or private school), who teaches a STEM subject
- inspire students of all backgrounds and abilities to learn
- improve the STEM experience for his or her students
- increase and sustain public and youth engagement in STEM fields of study
- play an active educational and support role in the community as well as in the school
Recipients of the award receive the following:
- A $1,000 grant from the Local Organizing Committee and Chaminade Julienne Catholic High School to be used to improve STEM learning in the classroom
- An official Big Hoopla STEM Teacher of the Year plaque awarded at the Big Hoopla STEM Challenge
- 50 Upper Arena tickets for all First Four March Madness games
- 4 Hoopla Central VIP Passes
“CJ is the leader in STEM excellence in the Miami Valley,” Chmiel said. “We believe the investment with this grant, and our partnership with the Big Hoopla, are essential to recognize and continue to reach out to great STEM professionals around the area.”
Nomination forms will be accepted through Thursday, February 1 at 12:00 a.m. Additional information about the application and award process can be found here.
Posted January 16, 2018